Why It’s Wise to Take a Break at Some Point
You cannot click on a content site, watch a news broadcast, or talk to a fellow entrepreneur without hearing someone whine about the state of business travel today, especially at the airport. They are just so horribly inconvenienced:
- They might have to stand in a security line for 20 minutes, or
- They might have to have one of those new super-duper x-ray machines spin around them for 3 seconds, or
- They might even have to take off their shoes!
As you can gather, I don’t have much sympathy for the whiners. I’m writing this article while 30,000 feet in the air and think that is fairly remarkable. In fact, if you do it right, business travel today can be an altogether fairly remarkable experience.
Here are five ways to make your next business trip a safe and easy one:
1. Have your laptop ready: Even just a decade ago, laptops were not nearly as ubiquitous as they are now. While I love reading a book or watching a movie on a plane as much as the next guy, the fact that I can also use my time more effectively is “way cool,” as my teenager would say. The secret is to have a backup laptop battery with you. That way, you can be sure of getting everything done that you’ve made plans to finish.
2. Have your smartphone ready: Maybe even more important than having a fully charged laptop is having a fully charged phone. After all, you make excessive demands on it by listening to music, watching video, working, and playing games. But for less than $50, you can get a backup external battery for your phone so that you will never run out of juice again when playing Angry Birds, err, I mean working on that spreadsheet.
3. App up: The sheer number of great travel apps out there makes the creation of even a cursory list somewhat of a fool’s errand. So Google “best travel apps” and have at it. Your smartphone will thank you.
4. Ask for an upgrade: Want a better car than the one you reserved? Ask. Want a better room? Ask. If not sold out, many companies are happy to upgrade you at no extra cost, especially if you are a member of a rewards program that they are attached to. It builds their brand, and creates loyalty.
5. Sleeping pills: Whether it is Excedrin PM, Ambien, or something from your doctor, a sweet little sleeping pill can ensure that you will go to sleep when the natives do, and get on their time clock as soon as possible.
Photo Credit: lintmachine, Flickr.