231 CROTON AVE CORTLANDT MANOR, NY 10567 Get Directions
New York City, 1933 - The Height of the Great Depression Using $200.00 in capital borrowed from his wife, Samuel Mines opened a small commercial printing shop on West 21st Street. Samuel was the only employee, and the only equipment was a small second-hand printing press. From these humble beginnings, The Mines Press was born.In the Beginning As the Depression faded, the fledgling business slowly grew, supplying letterheads, envelopes, business cards, office forms and labels to local businesses. The only customers were those that walked in off the street. There was no marketing, just word-of-mouth advertising, but gradually the company gained a reputation for high quality and affordable prices. The business began to thrive.After World War II, Samuel's sons, Marty and Bernie, joined him and The Mines Press became a family business. Initially, Marty worked in the office, while Bernie oversaw the day-to-day production. The company reorganized when a third son, Danny, joined the company. Marty concentrated on marketing, Bernie managed the office, and Danny took charge of production. The Birth of the "Insurance Printers" In 1952, the course of the company changed forever. The country was enjoying the post-war prosperity boom and the insurance industry was growing by leaps and bounds, thanks in large part to the growing number of automobiles on the country's new highways. One day, a neighborhood insurance agent walked in with a small custom form that he needed for his office. Business was so brisk that he needed a form that his secretary could simply check off and drop in an envelope instead of sending his clients individually typed letters. The form apparently worked so well that the agent reordered the form again and again.Recognizing the form's marketing potential, Marty set about creating an entire line of these "insurance" forms, put them in a catalog, and mailed a copy to every insurance agent in the country. The forms, appropriately named "Short Forms" and "Time Savers", were an immediate success. The Mines Press became forever known as "The Insurance Printers."In 1960, the company relocated to West 14th Street, occupying the corner of one floor in a six-story building. New insurance-related products were constantly developed and introduced, continuing its growth. Eventually it purchased the building, expanding to fill all six floors with various departments for customer service, order entry, marketing, accounting, data processing, art and production.